According to CareerBuilders.com, 57% of mobile workers (meaning people who primarily work on the road), use their unlocked cell phone while in the bathroom. And I’m not going to lie, I do this regularly myself. Polling 5,200 respondents, they found a host of interesting stats. Not only do we engage in dirty behavior, the majority of us also engage in extremely RISKY behavior. 54% of all workers admitted to checking their phones while driving, and in no surprise, in their never ending quest to make a sale, 66% of sales workers admitted to smartphoning behind the wheel. In one of the most disturbing responses, half of all health care workers admitted to using cell phones in their cars. We can only hope that statistic does not include ambulance drivers.
It truly is an addiction. Almost one fifth of all respondents said they check their phone immediately after it vibrates or beeps, and the same percentage says that their employer demands they be reachable via cell phone after work hours. Most professionals relay on their smart phones such as the Motorola Backflip, for a non-stop flow of incoming and outgoing information, and based on the above stats, I’d be surprised if we don’t see an increase in state and federal legislation penalizing those who use their cell phones while driving. Some other interesting stats taken from this study:
- 62% check during a meal
- 60% check while on vacation
- 57% check while in the bathroom
- 50% check while lying in bed at night
- 25% check when at the movies
- 18% check while on a date
- 17% check while working out at the gym
- 17% check when attending their kid’s events
- And in a move that will probably shock and disgust your Grandmother, 11% admit to checking their smartphones while at church!