There certainly has been a lot of love being spread around Twitter applications in recent weeks. Earlier this morning Twitter re-launched and rebranded Tweetie 2 as Twitter for iPhone 3 and a few short hours later RIM announced that a revamped version of Twitter for BlackBerry Unlocked Gadget is in route. This new BlackBerry version will stay in beta for a while and has a bunch of new and user-requested features, including:
- · Quote Tweets
- Ability to edit ReTweets
- · Auto Complete for @ usernames
- When you type an “@” followed by characters, the auto complete feature pops up a list of users as you type
- · View Geotagged Tweets
- View locations of geotagged tweets on BlackBerry Maps
- · Personal Info Guard
- Warning appears when sharing personal information (e.g. email address, PIN, phone number)
- · Hotkeys for Navigation
- New hotkey functionality has been added for lists, find people, etc.
- R reply, L reply all, Space page down, F retweet, C compose, D refresh, Alt+0 (home), alt+1 (mentions), alt+2 (lists), alt+3 (profile), alt+4 (inbox), alt+5 (find people), alt+6 (search), alt+7 (popular topics)
- · Go to User
- Ability to access any users profile from anywhere in the application using auto-complete functionality for followers
- · Additional photo viewing support
The new Twitter for BlackBerry code is set to roll out “over the course of tonight and Thursday” according to RIM’s PR team. The requirements to run this new application include a 64 MB BlackBerry smartphone, Twitter account and an Operating System of 4.5 or higher.
By the sounds of this update RIM has really done a number on their Twitter client. These new features should make the lives of Twitter users much easier.